The new Adult Mental Health and Addictions Facility will be an addition to the existing Health Sciences Center. It will include:
• A 240,000 square foot, six-storey, 102-bed hospital
• A parking garage with space for 1,000 vehicles
• A new 60-bed hostel to replace the Agnes Cowan Hostel
The facility will maximize operational efficiency by: minimizing staff travel distances, optimizing energy efficiency through technical detailing, and delivering a complex set of programmatic requirements while keeping future flexibility in mind. Examples Include:
• Implementation of snow melt systems at all of the terraces – improving year-round availability of exterior space.
• Optimization of the exterior envelope to reduce energy consumption.
• Placement of elevator cores – reducing staff travel distances and improving staffing efficiencies.
• Efficient location of the forensics unit on the ground floor – improving safety and security for staff, patients and visitors.
• Construction of the Hostel on a single floor – reducing staffing requirements for the Authority and improving operational efficiency.
Construction on the parking garage began in fall 2020 and will be completed in late 2021. Construction of the hospital will be completed in late 2024.